Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Will you be my Valentine?

What did you and your special Valentine do for valentines this year?  I always try to find something fun to do with Anna Cate for her classmates, but more importantly I want the valentines and treats to come from her.  Of course, I could buy valentines, sign them with her name and be done with it. It would be a lot easier and quicker, but then she didn't have a say in them like every other child.  

Like many people, I am addicted to Pinterest and found some really neat tags for Anna Cate to give to her friends.  Once I found the ones that I thought she would like, I had to think how she was going to be able to help me do them.  We picked two different ideas, one for the boys and one for the girls.  

Anna Cate requires help with all aspects of her valentines.  Not only does she need help making them, but I also wanted to make sure they were age appropriate for her peers.  My creative side, wanted them to be fun too!  

I want her to be involved with the process as much as she could, after all they are HER valentines not mine.  So Betsie opened each bag and we counted out the number of candies per bag as she dropped them in.  When we were finished with each bag, I would call out a classmates name and then ask her to point to which tag she would like to put on their bag.  Before attaching it to the bag, I had her stamp her name on the back, as she can not sign her name.  This was a fun activity for Anna Cate and Betsie to share together too!








If I didn’t take the time to help Anna Cate, then her peers would know that I did them for her and I don’t think it would mean as much to them.  Now, they will see that she stamped her approval on all of them and know that she did her Valentine’s Day treats just like them!  We turned a fun activity into a learning experience, but she didn’t see it that way!  Anna Cate worked on her counting, colors, names of her peers, fine motor skills and everything in between!  But to her, she was doing her valentines and having a taste test with the candy!  






No comments:

Post a Comment